200 & 300 Hour RYT Ashtanga Teacher Training
The application process for 2020 is open! Email firstname.lastname@example.org today!
Applications are reviewed as they are received from January 1st thru February 15th. The program is limited in size in order to provide individualized instruction. We will announce HERE if capacity has been reached to prevent further applicants. Applicants may choose to be added to the wait list thereafter. Fees and Tuition are provided below.
Maya Yoga has a long history of training teachers in the yoga specialty of Ashtanga. Further, Maya Yoga’s training program helps students deepen their practice as Kansas City’s Premier Ashtanga Yoga Studio. Our traditional approach to teaching and training has earned Maya Yoga a reputation for fostering a lifelong devotion to the practice. We strive to develop a union of the body, mind and spirit in our students. We also recognize that we are ALL eternal students and simultaneously teachers of Ashtanga and have created an adult learning space designed to shape your practice so that you demonstrate Ashtanga in its’ original form. While rigorous and highly demanding, Maya Yoga’s Teacher Training program will prepare you to stay the course in your practice and your teaching style rather than succumb to the temptation to modify. Maya Yoga is strongly committed to the preservation of Ashtanga and its’ lineage.
Yoga’s invigorating force is spreading throughout the world and as a result there will always be demand for good teachers. Yoga is a lifelong pursuit and needs time to grow. Immersive experiences like a teacher-training programs can help stimulate and solidify knowledge. Furthermore, yoga teachers will tell you, teaching is simply another form of learning yoga, and it can be a very rewarding and educational experience. Many students participate in our training program as a way to deepen their own practice without the intent of ever teaching.
Our integrated teaching approach presents topics in context of the Primary Series because learning to teach yoga begins with an immersion into your own practice, which, as you will learn, is where YOU become YOUR teacher. The focus is hands-on, practical knowledge that students need to get started. Hence, students learn anatomy and physiology, teaching methodologies, pranayama, philosophy, etc. within the framework of the Ashtanga postures. We emphasize discussion over lecture and doing rather than watching.
This in-depth Ashtanga curriculum for the Primary Series includes:
- Both human physical anatomy and physiology (bodily systems, organs, etc.) and energy anatomy and physiology (chakras, nadis, etc.).
- Training in asana, pranayama, chanting, mantra, bandhas, meditation, and other traditional yoga techniques.
- Teaching principles of demonstration and instruction, teaching styles, qualities of a teacher, and the student’s process of learning.
- How to observe and understand your students’ bodies.
- Principles of adjusting and modifying postures.
- Differences in teaching an Intro to Ashtanga vs Led Primary class.
- How to teach and assist special students (i.e., prenatal, physically challenged, elderly, etc.) in an Ashtanga Intro or Led Primary class.
- Fundamentals of Ayurveda.
- The history of yoga philosophy, its foundations, and how yoga philosophy can inspire your teaching.
- Ethical guidelines for teaching and lifestyle.
- Guidelines for the business of yoga.
- Nutrition for healthier living.
- *NEW* The Business and Operations of Yoga.
Non-contact hours include home study, practice, classroom observations and assisting with the faculty, and teaching hours.
Learn and use the teaching method in the lineage of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois to teach safe and effective Introductory Ashtanga Primary Series yoga classes. You will also learn to deepen your own practice leading to a healthier body, a clearer mind and a greater sense of peace and joy in your life.
Meet our Faculty
Our down-to-earth teacher training faculty is led by two exceptional Ashtanga yoga teachers who have been practicing, teaching and living yoga for years. Guest faculty who have unique specialties participate at different times as the curriculum warrants. Students benefit from a wide range of expert skills, approaches, and techniques as a result.
500 E-RYT, M.S. in Exercise Physiology & Biomechanics
Director of Teacher Training
Gwen says: “Yoga is my life practice! I want to share the wisdom of this ancient healing practice with everyone I meet. Yoga is about immersing yourself in your life, and becoming completely present in each moment-Living in the Now. I hope to encourage my students to practice yoga with a deep awareness of the breath and a receptive body, not a striving mind.”
Gwen holds a BS in Health and Physical Education K-12, and a M.S. in Exercise Physiology and Biomechanics. She has been a fitness instructor, personal trainer and workshop presenter since 1986, and a yoga instructor since 1998 providing yoga instruction to a wide variety of people — kids, seniors, pregnant women, runners, high school athletes and teams, rheumatoid arthritis and chronic pain sufferers, diabetics, heart patients, people struggling with their weight, chemical addiction and domestic violence.
Gwen is eternally grateful to her first teacher, Genvieve Crosslin, for sharing the Ashtanga practice. She completed a 200 hour training with Satsang Yoga with Mic and Stephanie Goodman in 2005, and another 200 hour training at Maya Yoga with Kathleen Kastner and Wade Mortenson in 2008.
As a life long learner, Gwen takes every opportunity to expand her knowledge by attending workshops with international presenters. She has learned more about the practice from David and Doug Swenson, Matthew Sweeney, David Williams, Bhavani Maki, Tim Miller, Jorgen Christensen, Saul David Raye, Jeffery Cohen, Anna Forest, Joseph LePage, Max Strohm, Kim Schwartz, Mark Blanchard, Brian Kest, and Gretchen Robinson.
Karen has a passion for movement. Before moving to Kansas City in 2014 she was an award-winning physical theater actress and educator in South America, and has had extensive training in different disciplines. From martial arts to trapeze, to drumming and ethnic dancing, her body has always been her tool for self-expression and self-discovery.
Introduced to Ashtanga in 2004, she quickly fell in love with the practice. As soon as she arrived in Kansas City she began learning from Kathleen Kastner and Wade Mortenson at Maya Yoga in order to deepen her practice. She has completed their Ashtanga Teacher Training. In 2017, Karen earned her 500-hr Ashtanga yoga teacher certification from Maya Yoga.
Ashtanga yoga has had immeasurable positive effects on Karen’s life and health, and aspires to help others discover its benefits on both a physical and subtle level. Her training in the internal martial arts (hundreds of hours of Taoist standing meditations) has been fundamental to her Ashtanga practice, her awareness of the body’s structural alignment, and to its energetic potential.
She is also a practitioner of Vipassana Meditation, one of India’s most ancient forms of meditation.
Karen believes that all our actions come from our intentions. Conscious practice is the way to clarify our intentions, make our actions more harmonious, and make one’s walk through life more graceful.
Karen sincerely thanks Karl, Monica, and Fede, her gurus from around the world; and Kathleen and Wade, her gurus in the heartland.
- Agree to comply with the Maya Yoga KC, Inc. Code of Conduct.
- Have a consistent yoga practice for a minimum of one year immediately preceding your application to the Maya Yoga Teacher Training Program (MYTTP).
- Attend nine training weekends and two workshops (complete workshop must be attended) identified as part of the MYTTP curriculum.
- Include a non-refundable application fee of $250 with the application. If accepted into the program, this fee applies towards the program tuition.
- Agree to pay the program tuition of $2695 (200-hr) or $3195 (300-hr). This tuition does not include the cost of weekend workshops by Kino McGregor (July 26-28th) and Laruga Glaser (April 24th-26th) . Students will pay no more than the Early Bird Rate for workshops while in Teacher Training.
- Acknowledge there are no application or tuition refunds.
- Upon acceptance into the program be provided a formal acceptance invitation by email upon which time the $250 Deposit is due and will be applied towards the program tuition.
Yoga Alliance Registration
Students will receive a certificate from Maya Yoga upon successful completion of the program allowing them to register with Yoga Alliance as a 200 or 300 Hour RYT. A 500 hour Certificate is only given to student who complete both the 200 & 300 hour training at Maya Yoga. Please note, this is not a certification nor authorization from the Shri K. Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute in Mysore, India.
Students of Extended Studies
We recognize and accept that some students may desire to take this training program as an opportunity to deepen their personal yoga experience and gain new insight on the effect yoga can have in one’s life. These students may opt to not participate in the teaching skills portions of the program and may receive a letter of completion.
Activities and Dates
Please note that all students accepted into the program are expected to attend all activities.
|Date||Instruction provided by||Program|
|March 27-29th||Maya Yoga Teachers||Weekend Class|
|April 3-5th||Maya Yoga Teachers||Weekend Class|
|April 24-26th||Laruga Glaser||Workshop with Laruga|
|May 29-31st||Maya Yoga Teachers||Weekend Class|
|June 26-28th||Maya Yoga Teachers||Weekend Class|
|July 24-26th||Kino McGregor||Workshop with Kino|
|August 28-30th||Maya Yoga Teachers||Weekend Class|
|September 11-13th||Maya Yoga Teachers||Weekend Class|
|October 23-25th||Maya Yoga Teachers||Weekend Class & Honorary Instructor: Kathleen Kastner|
|November 13-15th||Maya Yoga Teachers||Weekend Class|
|December 6-8||Maya Yoga Teachers||Weekend Class & Graduation|
Example Weekend Schedule
(adjustments may be made to accommodate the curriculum)
- Friday 5:00-9:00pm
- Saturday 8:30-12:00pm 12:30-5:30pm
- Sunday 10:00-4:00pm
To apply and reserve your space:
- Email email@example.com to Request an Application for Teacher Training 2020
- Applicant must agree to, accept, and sign the Maya Yoga Code of Conduct in the application
- Applicant must sign the application (electronic option)
- Email the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pay the $250 application fee to pay via credit card online. Your application will not be considered until the $250 app fee is paid.
Tuition and Other Costs
Tuition for the training is $2695 (200-hr) or $3195 (300-hr). A tuition deposit of $250 is required at time of acceptance regardless of payment option. You will receive an email invoice for the deposit to pay via credit card online.
Students in the training are required to attend two weekend workshops (Laruga in April and Kino in July) and responsible for the the costs of these workshops at the early bird price regardless of when payment is made.
All books and other materials required will be provided by Maya Yoga.
You will receive Early Bird Pricing for ALL Maya Workshops and Special Offerings, no matter when paid.
You will receive a Free Membership to all Maya regularly scheduled classes from March 1st thru December 31st to enhance your immersion into Ashtanga Yoga (payments must be current). This is a value of $1000! Current Maya Members (auto monthly or annual paid) will receive free admission to the 2 required workshops (Kino and Laruga) and are unable to discontinue membership in lieu of Teacher Training.
We offer two tuition payment options.
Payment Option 1
- A $250 application fee is required upon submitting the app and is applied to tuition if accepted. Otherwise, application fee is non-refundable.
- A $250 deposit is due upon acceptance and is applied to the balance and is non-refundable.
- A $200 discount is available if full payment is made by March 1st, 2020.
- The remaining balance of the tuition, $1895 (200-hr) or $2495 (300-hr) is due by March 1st, 2020.
Payment Option 2
- A $250 application fee is required upon submitting the app and is applied to the balance. Otherwise, application fee is non-refundable
- A $250 deposit is due upon acceptance and is applied to the balance and is non-refundable
- Ten monthly payments of $220 (200-hr) or $270 (300-hr) are made by auto pay starting March 1st, 2020 with the last payment due on December 1st, 2020.